Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inception = Perfection


How do you write a critique of a movie that is perfect? The answer of course would be that no movie is perfect, but Inception comes so near to this lofty goal that I'm having trouble putting words to how I feel about it. I can hardly believe I'm even saying this. I never dreamed that I would ever think this much of a movie after seeing it in theaters, normally I am very critical. This one, however, just raises the bar for everything else, plain and simple.

Synopsis (skip if you've seen the film)
The movie, for those of you who are insane and haven't seen it yet, is about a man named Dom (Leonardo DiCaprio) who uses his unique knowledge of the nature of dreams to actually enter someone else's dream and steal valuable information from the person that would otherwise be unobtainable. A short ways into the film, Dom is offered a rather unorthodox job by a character named Saito (Ken Watanabe). Instead of extracting information from someone, as is the norm, Saito wants Dom to preform inception, or the introduction of an idea into someones mind so as they believe it is their own original inspiration. Other characters seem to agree that inception  is either impossible, or incredibly difficult, but Dom claims to have achieved it before so its all good. He accepts this job on the condition that after its completion, Saito will arrange his return to the U.S. where his children are, and where he is also wanted for murder (there is a lot more to this). To do this job, he puts together a team of various people, including among others the "architect", played by Ellen Paige, and right-hand man Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The plan is to create a three-tiered dream, or a dream within a dream within a dream, to plant the idea. Going that deep, however, is very unstable and unpredictable as the characters find out. Coupled with Dom's mysterious personal problems, the mission is very difficult.

The Critique
Lets start with the acting. This is literally DiCaprio's seventh film in eight years that I thoroughly enjoy watching. Inception only proves that right now, he is the most bankable star in Hollywood hands down. I found his performance, along with the other notables in the cast, including Cillian Murphy who played the mark, excellent. As far as effects go, you can't get much more seamless. Oh, and the plot? It makes the movie. Thrilling, mind-bending, engaging, all words I would use. I have never been literally on the edge of my seat for so long during any other film, ever. Everything comes together so perfectly, to try and describe it would not do it justice. 

The Verdict
You must see this movie. Does it have flaws? I suppose...I don't know of any personally. I don't take praising a movie lightly, and I could sit here and praise it all day. I was genuinely astonished by how good it was. My rating, out of 4 stars, is 4, and don't hold your breath until I award that to another film.    

No comments:

Blog Archive