Friday, July 09, 2010

Three Kings of South Beach?

Blame it on insomnia if you must, but I am actually going to post about a sports-related topic for the first time in probably two years or so. I normally avoid it because, for starters, I think its kind of a waste of time. I also hate when random people automatically assume that my goal in journalism is to become some no-talent sports broadcaster simply because I'm such an involved athlete. Anyway...

I, along with millions of others, succumbed to the temptation at 9 eastern standard time tonight to watch The King, LeBron James, announce his free-agency decision (and I am sure countless millions are adding their opinions to the blogosphere even as I type this). I won't go into the background, the lengthy decision making process, the unprecedented media coverage culminating in the ridiculous ESPN prime-time announcement show. I simply wish to offer my opinion of his decision. 

I will say right now that I don't blame him for leaving Cleveland. He dedicated seven years of his life to that city, and to ask any more of a young talented player with his entire career ahead of him would be asking too much indeed. That said, let's face it, its all about Jordan. Tonight was all about where LeBron would begin his true quest to equal or surpass the achievements of the greatest player of all time, whether James intends this or not. That immediately ruled out the Bulls, because, well, that's where Jordan did it. That left New York and Miami in serious consideration (forget New Jersey, honestly). By picking Miami, James effectively doomed himself never to equal the amazing feats of the original #23. 

If he had gone to New York, the biggest media and advertising market, as well as the team and the most hallowed arena in basketball, would have been his. A kingdom truly worthy of The King. He wins a championship there, and he is a god, a legend. Instead, he picked Miami. He chose easy championships over glory and prestige. If all goes as planned, of course he will win championships there, because he has two other hugely talented teammates in Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh (Snoop Dogg). I guess my point is this:

Win championships in Miami: Big deal, great, they just won one a couple of years ago anyway. Hell the team is so stacked everyone would raise and eyebrow if they didn't win. 

Win championships in New York: Wow! Long live The King! He took that franchise from ashes and turned them into champions! He had to do heroic battle with Wade and Bosh in Miami and the big three in Boston to even make it to the final! And then he won! He could be as good as Jordan....

Sadly, this NY scenario will never play out. LeBron will never be the sole hero again. No more scoring titles, no more MVPs. Sure, he'll get some rings, but only with the help of two other amazing players in the prime of their careers. He traded "The King" for the ring, and in doing so sealed the fate of his legacy forever.  

No comments:

Blog Archive