Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Horrible Bosses



All right so it goes without saying that I've been a bit busy lately and haven't been writing as much as I'd like... but moving on I saw the aforementioned film the other night and thought I'd give a quick rundown of why I think its worth seeing. 

I had read reviews before the movie came out, and they were all fairly glowing, praising the acting and the clever plot, the USA Today, I believe it was, even billing Horrible Bosses as this generation's Office Space. Though I wouldn't go nearly that far, I would describe the movie as quite funny and entertaining. The plot, for those who are unfamiliar, is that three friends (Jason Sudeikis, Jason Bateman, and Charlie Day)  each work for bosses (Colin Farrell, Kevin Spacey, and Jennifer Aniston) who they despise, and feel that they could do well without. Eventually, the hypothetical death of these bosses becomes an actual plan, the attempted execution of which provides the bulk of the action. With clever writing and the benefit of an engaging plot coupled with a situation that audiences are able to relate to (having bad bosses, not killing them of course), I believe the movie deserves the praise that it is getting, and is an above-average summer comedy. 

The thing is though... its no Office Space. For one, the movie in large part relies on lewd language and overtly explicit sexual references to fuel its humor, all stuff that is good in moderation but can't constitute the bulk of an exceptional comedy. Its good for quick laughs, but isn't endearing by any means. Also, although one can certainly relate to the main characters (who's notoriety is pathetic compared to a supporting cast including Farrel, Aniston, Spacey, and also Jamie Foxx and Donald Sutherland), one also finds them somewhat loser-ish. Even though this adds to some of the humor, I found it hard to sympathize with the often naive and cowardly would-be murderers. But, those weak spots are only reason why I don't think this movie is a great comedy; its still a very good one, which I give 3 stars out of 4 and recommend seeing if you'd like some quality laughs.     

No comments:

Blog Archive