Thursday, January 13, 2011

Black Swan


Black Swan is exactly the type of movie that people find fashionable to adore. You'll hear people talking about it, praising its deep, multi-layered plot, its wealth of symbolism. "Oh, Black Swan was simply magnificent! It opened my eyes! It makes a statement!" And a bigger load of bullshit I have never heard about a film. If director Darren Aronofsky intended at all to entertain, he failed in large part. The plot at first seemed so interesting, so complex, but in the end you simply chalk it all up to an unstable mental state and move on. Yes the movie had beautiful aesthetics, lots of symbolism, etc., but to what end? It is all contributing to the portrayal of Nina Sayer's (Natalie Portman) slow descent into insanity, a plot device that has been revisited time and time again to the point of overuse.

If you are a person who likes others to think that you are sophisticated and discerning, then go see this movie, and tell everyone how magnificent it was. So basically, if you are an arrogant sophist who enjoys discounting truth on the basis of other's insufficient intelligence, this is the perfect movie for you! If you are an honest, practical member of society, skip this over-thought, over stylized, and over-praised disappointment. The movie is only mildly interesting, serviceable at best.

Why do critics love it so much? In a year of less than stellar releases, people need something to latch onto, some award-favorite. This is the movie they have chosen, and it will undoubtedly win many awards. Don't get me wrong, the acting was very good, the cinematography, set design, all lovely. What angers me are all of the individuals who think they know about movies, labeling this as some sort of masterpiece when it is so far from it. Excuse my base, clandestine understanding of what constitutes a good movie.  I've heard people call it a(n) Hitchcockian Thriller, a mantle it is highly unworthy of. I give it 2 stars out of 4. 

One person told me that this wasn't my type of movie. That is why I didn't like it. That person is 100% correct, because my type of movie is a good movie.     

No comments:

Blog Archive