Thursday, September 09, 2010

The American


The American is a movie for people who appreciate movies, to be sure. Its not a fast-paced thriller, with obnoxious explosions and clichéd dialog, but rather a fine tuned sequence of moving art. The acting, the location, the story. I personally enjoyed it all, and thought it was superbly executed. 

From the moment I first read about this movie in June, I knew exactly what type of film it would be. Directed by Anton Crobijn and starring George Clooney, the plot description exuded a type of singular focus that you rarely see, a sort of throwback to 1960's movies with Gregory Peck or Carey Grant, if you will. One watches this type of movie for the mood it purveys. 

The basic plot is that Jack (Clooney of course) is a hit-man. After an emotionally taxing job he is ordered to lay low in a small Italian village (Castel de Monte) while the smoke clears. As is to be expected, he becomes emotionally attached to a girl he meets, and stuff goes down. And that is all I shall say about the plot- better to just see it for yourself to be honest. I have heard the criticism that the plot is predictable, and with this I won't argue. Although not entirely obvious, you can generally feel what is probable to happen next if you are attentive. 

Now the question of overall quality arises. If I were to judge this film solely based on my own personal enjoyment,  I would give it 3 1/2 stars. My preferences do not however represent much of the viewing public, so I will...ignore that fact and give it 3 1/2 stars, because it is a damn good film and if you don't agree then you don't appreciate truly masterful work. 

*As a side note, the score by Herbert Gronemeyer is very beautiful, and works well with the movie. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt that it was a fantastic movie and you did a nice job analyzing it. I would change your blog name though, you would get more hits that way. Its kind of immature the way it is and doesnt make any sense. you need something creative, expressive, and to the point.
investing in a dot com is pretty cheap anyways.

think about it.

Albert Anderson said...

So I assume you are referring to the url then?

I don't really care about hits to be honest, if I wanted them I would name the blog "Paris Hilton" or "Lady Gaga".

Blog Archive